Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Father's Day 2012

Sunday was Father's Day... the day set aside to honour our fathers.

Mum & Dad taken in March 2010 at my eldest daughter's wedding (not my image)

I consider myself incredibly blessed to have an amazing Dad, who I love more than words can express. He has been a wonderful source of unconditional love, wisdom, encouragement, support and a great listening ear. He provided a life of clear boundaries, good discipline (which didn't do any of his 5 children any harm) and fun and laughter thrown in.

My Dad, along with my Mum, have had an enormous impact on the person I have become and the parent I was. When my children's father walked away from his family over 14 1/2 years ago, and while I raised my children entirely alone as a single Mum, my Dad was always a great source of encouragement & support (even from 1800km away). When we talked on the phone each week, and when he came to visit, he would always tell me what a wonderful job I was doing in raising my children alone, and how proud he was of me.

Dad, you have always been an inspiration to me and I thank God every day that YOU are my father. I hope you had an amazing day... I wish I could celebrate with you, but 1800km is a little to far to drive!!

I love and honour you, Dad, with all my heart and couldn't ask for better. ❤❤


There is also another father in my life... my husband. We married in December 2009.

Michael & me, February 2012 (photo credit to my daughter, Bec)

With the odds stacked against him, he took on the job of raising his 5 girls alone when his ex-wife walked out on their family. Raising children is extremely difficult as a single parent, especially when you have sole custody, and I imagine raising 5 very strong-willed girls when you are a gentle & easy going man is an even tougher task. It hasn't been easy for him, but there is one thing this man knows and does extremely well... unconditional love. His kind and loving nature won my own 4 adult children over.

It's been a tough week for my husband, and Father's Day was a relative non event. But he remained strong while we celebrated another 21st birthday on Sunday, although I am sure he was crumbling inside... and for that I truly honour him (because I was crumbling inside and struggling to keep it together).

I may not be the mother of his children... but this man is certainly a great example to his own children & mine of how to love your wife. Humble enough to see his faults and work on them, patient enough to encourage me while I work on mine, loving enough to fight for what is right. I am glad that after years of no father in their lives, my children are finally seeing what a courageous & loving father is like.

These two men, my Dad & my husband, are my heros. ❤❤

11 comments:

MadSnapper said...

a touching and heart warming tribute to the two fathers in your life.

Seeing Each Day said...

It's so wonderful you can write these words about these 2 men. I'm sorry this weekend carried stress for you and your husband.

TexWisGirl said...

this was so sweet, liz. you are blessed in many ways.

Joop Zand said...

Very nice done Liz

warm greetings, Joop

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Liz, a wonderful story about two fantastic men of your life.
  This Dad and Husband.
I wish them all the best.
Your photos are very nice.
Lucia

El rincón de Ceditas said...

Hermosas fotografias Liz. Mi felicitación por tener esos estupendos padres.
Un abrazo

Carole M. said...

a delightful post and you know that you and your family are blessed in many ways

Michael S-B said...

Thank you Liz. That was very beautifully said. Certainly made me cry. Xoxoxo

I too am very grateful and give tribute to my amazing father, whose memory I can only honour by living like him. He was the best example I know of Christlike love and manly strength.

I honour your Dad also. He is a great man & I respect him deeply & love him dearly.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Beautiful post Liz. You are deeply blessed to have these two wonderful men in your life.

LindyLouMac said...

What a wonderful tribute to them, tears in my eyes.

Pat Tillett said...

Very nice photos! Also a great tribute to the two fathers in your life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...